Friday 4 July 2014

SHOWING APPRECIATION FOR OUR LIBRARIANS




Young Adult author, Paula Rawsthorne is delighted to read how our librarians make a difference to the lives of young people.







Yesterday a comment appeared on The Edge website and I felt compelled to write about it.  The comment was left by Dominic in response to a Q&A post with school librarian, Ingrid Broomfield.  The original post was part of our ‘Salute to Librarians’ series. Read the post 


 Dominic’s comment


‘I would just like to say thank you for the time you spent at John Port School. As a student who frequented the library during your last few years there you really made that place feel like a second home. You kept my love of reading alive and it is thanks to you that I found two of my favourite authors (Anne McAffrey and David Eddings!). The shared disappointment on the school trip to see Eragon and the surprise at seeing the books I mentioned appear on the shelves are things I still think of every time I walk past the library (I have come back to JP to work as a Teaching Assistant). I hope you are doing well and that you continue to enjoy your work as a librarian and I am sure you are making a difference, because you did with me.
Thank you,
Dominic  





Ingrid (like all our featured librarians) has dedicated years of her life to instilling a passion for reading in young people.  Dominic’s comments are a timely reminder of the impact that a good librarian can have on children and shows how that impact that can last into their adult lives.  It’s a reminder of how invaluable it is to have qualified librarians in our schools, working in libraries that are appealing, welcoming places and that convey the message that books are enjoyable, life enhancing and for everyone!
 

I know that they’ll be many more ex pupils throughout the UK who have their school librarians to thank for finding them the perfect story when they insisted that ‘books are boring’, for offering them a place they felt at ease and for passing on their love of books.  So many writers have strong, fond memories of their school and community libraries (read Savita Kalhan’s ‘A People’s Palace In Every Town’ post )   The access to free books for all and the guidance of a good librarian has helped mould many children into readers (and writers).



 


When librarians have devoted years of their lives to a profession which is increasingly under threat (in schools and in the community) it’s gratifying to read Dominic’s confirmation of how vital their role is in young people’s lives.  (Here’s my  post ‘Taking Issue’ about the importance of school libraries.)


It would be great to take this opportunity to Big Up any librarians out there who’ve made a difference to us at any stage in our lives.


I’d like to get the ball rolling by thanking all the great school librarians I work with when I do author visits.  Their enthusiasm to get students reading is inspiring. 


 If you’d like to thank any librarians please leave a comment below.

Paula Rawsthorne is an award winning author of YA thrillers 'The Truth About Celia Frost' and 'Blood Tracks' (published by Usborne) You can follow her on  FB- @PaulaRawsthorneAuthor and Twitter @PaulaRawsthorne 

3 comments:

  1. I've had the privilege to meet so many librarians who serve as matchmakers -- introducing books to young readers. My hats off to all the librarians who have touched my life and who help readers of any age discover the magic of books! -- Sara Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I see so many brilliant librarians in schools around the UK, and I know they made a huge difference to so many pupils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libraries and librarians will always have a special place in my heart. Great post, Paula!

    ReplyDelete